Return to MDK

Bang Out a Carbeth

There are powers at work here that are beyond our understanding. (Tee hee.)

The next time I knit sleeves in the round I will: (1) first learn TAAT on circs and (2) use a single strand of yarn! 5dpns x 3 strands of fingering weight = ?!&£&?!! #thingsihavelearned

Couldn’t resist joining in, albeit a couple days late. Got gauge using 10.5 and Malabrigo Worsted (they’re saying it’s Aran). Love how it feels knit at this gauge. Starting sleeves first. Haven’t been this excited to CO something since, well…Monday!

Oh, alright, I will do a proper job of checking my gauge. 3 swatches have been knit (10 1/2, 10, 9), bathed and are now lounging around, waiting to dry. Oh the one hand, I am not a fan of swatching. On the other, I am a fan of clothes that fit. It has stopped snowing and starting to get dark. Possibly there will be more knitting this evening.

I’ve never done a kal, but this one is too tempting. I have a whole bunch of Peruvia Quick leftover from another project and it seems like the perfect way to use it. The gauge of that sweater is 13 st. for 4” and I think I will stick with that and adjust the size.

I started mine on Tuesday! It’s a great commute/knit night project. I am doing it in Cascade Eco+.

I hate swatching, too. I think it’s one reason I knit so many shawls! On sweaters, I tend to do a sleeve first, as a sort of life-size swatch. But last night’s experience showed me how things can change after wet blocking. I may have been converted to true swatching…

Now I have 3 swatches, left to right - 9, 10, 10 1/2. None of them work out to 14 stitches = 4 inches. I think it’s a little late in the evening to wrestle with knitting math. Probably a good idea to leave this till tomorrow. This yarn knits up really nice, so at least there’s that.

Banging out my Carbeth with bulky Malabrigo “Mecha.” This yarn is so soft and luscious I am enjoying every stitch!

Our snow isn’t coming until tomorrow night. Hoping it brings us a snow day.

Gosh, what colourway is this? I’m drooling!

Thank you! I’m a bit mohair obsessed at the moment - I keep wanting to add it to everything! And I love how the texture and colours are coming out on my Carbeth. Here’s a progress shot that’s pretty effectively camouflaged by my sofa!

Using the 10 or 10 1/2, with Shibui, did you double the yarn? Does the recommended skein amounts under Shibui reflect singles or double strands?
I love the purple that you are using, and although I am tentative to make this sweater over concern over body shape, cropped design, etc, ALL the FO look gorgeous! I am becoming tempted!
I was a Doubting Thomas years ago when I made EZ’s Last Minute Sweater in gray homespun, at 4stitch per inch, and did finish the sweater in about 2 1/2 weeks!

Www - I love this mod. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Love this color.:heart_eyes:

Fini?

I went down to US7 for the neck (the body was knit with US9) and decreased by p2tog in each purl section after 4 or 5 rounds of sleeve stitch only…

C’est fini! I love the neck like this, Nell! It has such a cool sporty vibe with the ribbed sleeves. :heart:

Thanks so much, it was a great KAL!

That is a fabulous mod! If I do another one, I will copy you.

I’m feeling better about getting a slow start. Being at the back of the pack means I get to see so many great ideas. I’ve been thinking about how I will keep all this plain knitting interesting and was thinking about adding a 2 stitch cable when I get bored with the ribbing. Now I have a great idea to amplify my own!