Return to MDK

Dinner Last Night

August Peaches. Fresh baked bread. The first cup of coffee in the morning. Chicken off the last outdoor grill of the fall. Whatever food it is that is very mcc having its moment. The best beer of my life was a Bud Light draught in a seedy bar after a late night Joan Jett concert when I was exhausted and parched. But it was perfect in the moment, and I’ll never forget it. That’s pretty much it for me with food.

I had miso soup and sushi. I am familiar with Japanese and Korean cuisines. So, that I like to cook food by myself. My coworkers and I had lunch far from office. So I put food to special boxes for food which you can find on https://allinpackaging.co.uk/food-packaging/ Next week I also will have same lunch.

I got Mexican takeaway last night, but I will share what I made last Friday!

I picked up some nice steaks at Whole Foods, rubbed them down with EVOO, a dash of aged red wine vinegar and my fave steak rub. I did them in the broiler; this method works literally every time. Top with steak butter for serving.

Plus garlic bread and my signature green bean dish. The bread was store bought, but the green bean situation is thus (please pardon my Elizabeth Zimmermanesque “recipe” style):

• Blanch however many green beans you want (can be done the night before). I do them for just a couple minutes; can do it longer if you like them a bit softer; don’t overdo it though because you’ll finish them in a skillet.

• Toast either pine nuts (my preference) or almonds (sliced or slivered) in a skillet. Medium low-heat and watch like a hawk until they are just colored. Stir or shake-flip like a chef a few times to get them as evenly toasted as possible. Remove them to a bowl or plate.

• Heat butter, EVOO or a combination in a large skillet over medium heat.

• Throw in some sliced shallots and minced garlic to taste.

• Once shallots/garlic are softened but before they color, chuck in your beans. Cook until beans are al dente or to taste.

• Season with salt, pepper, minced fresh tarragon and a splash of fresh lemon juice. You can also amp up the lemon by garnishing with a bit of the zest. Add more butter and/or EVOO if desired. Serve immediately.

My kids gave me an Instant Pot for my birthday. 8 quart, because they like eating at my house. Tonight I made chicken spinach curry over brown rice, which I usually make in the crock pot all day.

It was delicious. Even better than crock pot. About 1.5 hours start to finish. I started the rice cooker first (new Zojirushi rice cooker!), then started on the curry. Timing pretty close on both ends this way; I forgot the rice had to steam 15 minutes after the countdown, but that was enough time for the IP to depressurize naturally.

Chicken Spinach Curry

bunch of cut up chicken pieces (1 lb skinless boneless thighs)
bunch of diced potatoes (3 - 4 white or Yukon gold)
diced onion one
cauliflower pieces (12 oz bag frozen)
Fresh spinach (1 salad bag, divided. Half at beginning and couple handfuls after depressurizing)
can o’ (lite) coconut milk
generous quantity of curry powder (3 tablespoons)
No extra water needed. (If you crock pot, you may need to add 1/2 can of water with the coconut milk)

Instant Pot: Saute onion in 2 T olive oil til translucent but not squishy, add chicken and saute a bit (I didn’t wait for all the pink to disappear). Add potatoes, stir, add everything else, stir.

Process 14 minutes on manual/high pressure. Let it depressurize naturally (about 15 mins). It looks watery, with chunks of potato and cauliflower, but when you stir in the rest of the spinach, the potatoes and cauliflower break down and it’s a lovely smooshy texture with some small chunks left. The spinach is still green.

Serve over rice, garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves if you’d like.

Yummmmmm.

thanks a lot for your recommendation. it does sounds to me really yummy. unfortuantelly cannot add potatoes (allergies and my thyroid gets crazy so i have to use levothyroxine sodium) but even without potatoes it sounds amazing, i am going to try it out!

The potatoes break down and help thicken the sauce; you could add more cauliflower and be just fine!