Return to MDK

Dinner Last Night

Roasted chicken thighs topped with BBQ sauce the last 7 minutes of cook time and roasted broccoli florets with lemon and Parmesan cheese added after cooking. Two pans, one oven. Quick and easy!

Dinner last night was two Rhode Island Greening apples with Italian provolone on the side. I did peel and slice the apples and cut the provolone into little cuboids, so it counted as "making dinner."
This thread is sort of inspiring/killing me, but right now I have a pan of chicken thighs roasting in the oven, so I felt strong enough to catch up on reading all the lovely posts from people who really do cook well.

Last night was roasted potatoes and italian sausage. It is referred to around here as “that sausage potato thing” and is a big hit with both the teenagers and the husband.

We eat Italian sausages and roasted potatoes on Italian bread. A little tomato and maybe a roasted red pepper or two makes a great sandwich.

We had a double birthday in the family two nights ago. This happens every year (duh), 4 days before the big-exhausting cooking marathon, so I aim for a simple feast each time. I went with Pasta Carbonara this year and it was delish. Last night called for light, low fat, super-simple fare. I made zucchini soup: 1 chopped onion, lots of sliced zucchini, a dollop of “Better Than Bouillon” in the water. Off the stove, I blend the cooked veggies and add 2 small portions of “Laughing Cow”. I know, I know. But it’s good!

That sounds really good! I just bought a 5-pound bag of organic carrots (mostly for carrot pennies for the goats) and I think a big kettle of carrot lentil soup is on my to-do list today, Thanks for the inspiration!

Roast chicken with apples, pears,and onions. Mushrooms, celery, and leeks sautéed with herbs. Gingerbread with chocolate frosting (unorthodox, but Mom’s way). The best part was cooking with my daughter.

We had one of our favorite and simplest dinners last night. Chicken wings (get the whole ones), sprinkle them with seasoned salt and then into a roasting pan with a little olive oil. Into the oven at about 425 for at least an hour and a half. Delish. We pile them on one plate and then eat them with our fingers. And we call that little piece at the wing tip that gets really crispy, the bacon.

Well. We have a New Years’ Eve tradition of 30+ years’ duration. We drive out to our friends’ farm, eat ourselves silly, spend the night, wake up, have a great breakfast that must include lox and bagels, eat up some of the leftovers for lunch, and go home, toting leftovers.

In the past, the rituals included communal bathing of tiny kids, entertaining of little kids, and persuading of big kids to join us (uncertain success as they got bigger and bigger). Also, as the years have gone by and we have grown, gasp, older, eating ourselves silly has required less and less food.

So. Last night the two cooks–the husband portion of the other couple and I–had divided the menu up thus: him, appetizers and first course; me, main course and dessert.

For the main course I would make Pappardelle with Lamb Ragout, which I’ve done before and maybe written about here. For dessert I made Chocolate-Coffee Gingerbread with Hazelnut Poached Pears. My friend produced a yummy pate and marinated mushrooms for appetizers and a delicious seafood stew with aioli-slathered toast for the first course. I was relaxed all afternoon because I knew how simple it was going to be to put the pasta together. And then, as my friend and I walked into the kitchen, where he was going to put the finishing touches on the soup, I heard myself say, “I’ve done all the prep and I can get the pasta done by the time we’re done eating the stew, unless I’ve forgotten that it has to cook for an hour and a half ha ha ha.”

Yes. I had.

After a suitable period of self-flagellation. I allowed my friend to convince me that his stew was very hearty and the pasta would make a dandy lunch, and then we forced the other two to agree with us. Since they’re the cleanup squad, they saw an upside in the plan. And after we’d finished the truly hearty stew and eaten a few slathered toasts apiece, we all agreed that this scheme born of stupidity was in fact the beginning of a worthy new tradition, since we were already pretty stuffed and the pasta would almost have been a bridge too far at that point, especially with dessert still lurking in the wings. From now on, appetizers, one course, and dessert for dinner, and another course for lunch.

Then we ate dessert, and it was great. Happy New Year!

Dare I ask you to share your lamb ragout recipe? I love lamb and that sounds great.

I’m one of those “end your year as you would like the next year to be” people. This year was a good one.

I did all the chores in the morning so that none of them will be a burden in 2017
I did tons of laundry all day long (not a chore–more of an odyssey) so that we will have clothes and comfort in 2017.
I made shell steaks, baked potatoes and creamed peas so that our meals will be delicious, balanced, easy and occasionally a little decadent in 2017.

http://www.winespectator.com/recipes/show/id/464

I hope you enjoy it. I omitted the mint because it just didn’t sound tasty to me.

This sounds right up my alley. What exactly do you do? I have 10 lbs of homemade (not by me) Hungarian sausage in my freezer that I need to use up in the next month. It’s out traditional Christmas eve dinner and my husband always orders way too much.

Here is a link to the recipe I use. (This is not my blog, I found it on pinterest)

Roast sausage and potatoes

I don’t always follow it exactly, but this was the original starting point. It’s always a big hit. I usually serve it with a salad.

Well, after three good kettles of Hey What Have I Got That Would Go With This soup - each really good, and the third was exceptionally delicious - I have bombed out with Kettle #4. Yuck. Cannot be salvaged.
So last night I had toast and cream cheese for supper, with rice pudding (made in the crockpot) for dessert. Today I’ll have to get brave and start Kettle #5. Just one day without soup and I really missed it - perhaps partly because the temp peaked at about 10F yesterday. Colder today. SOUP!

Well, I don’t know if I should share because this may start a trend in moms not cooking, but here goes. My local Trader Joes has these amazing olives! In a rounded glass jar, they are huge green Greek olives, some stuffed with crunchy pimento, others with a spicey pepper or with almond. They are all spicey (peppery), delicious, and addicting!

BTW, the jar is difficult for me to open. I use my dad’s old technique of running it under hot water while trying to pull an edge of the lid away from the jar by using the tip of a spoon. It takes a little while to get it just right, but when I hear a bit of air escape, I know I am moments away from tasting another great olive. :blush:

I never heard of that trick before! I have a jar of mushrooms that has resisted all attempts to open it… I’m going to try your dad’s trick!

Thanks so much! So sorry it took me so long to reply. Life has been, well, life! And we all know how crazy that can be. I’m going to make this very soon–with the mint! I think it’s the most underrated of the fresh herbs. Many, many years ago I worked in a restaurant with one of the Balducci boys and he taught me how to make roasted red peppers. He always dressed them with fresh mint. It’s shockingly delicious and oddly, not minty.

Ok I hope I don’t get stoned here. What are grits? Is there a receipe for this?

Have you ever had Cream of Wheat? Grits are a less refined, heartier version. It is a staple in some communities. Like Polenta. Like rice. It has a mild flavor and can be eaten with butter and salt (my favorite) or with sugar and fruit and cream for breakfast or gravy, or beans. In fancy places you can get it with seafood and the list goes on.
For me it is a comfort food, recalling my southern mother and her family. It is my version of chicken soup. I am also a fan of chicken soup.