Return to MDK

Dinner Last Night

Last night I was the only one home. I had Fruit Loops for dinner. Not sorry.

Left over chili and rice. I like meals that have leftovers.

Baked skinless chicken breasts coated in olive oil, bread crumbs, and Parmesan. The semi-fancy part (for me) was a gruyere and onion tart. We’ll have the rest of the tart with grilled pork chops later this week.

Tikka Masala Chicken. Favorite Indian dish aside from saag paneer. It was so good, easy, and tastes above and beyond what I had at chosen restaurants. I had no idea I normally had the ingredients on hand: chicken marinated in spices and yogurt, cumin, coriander, paprika, tumeric, tomatoes, cream, and lots of fresh ginger. Will make again!

Wow, I had no idea it was that easy to make. It always seems so complicated.

For Valentine’s Day I made a retro but yummy meal: Caesar salad, Tuscan steak, baked potato, chocolate pudding cake.

However.

The cake was made in a cast iron skillet. First a sort of batter was spread in it, and then another mixture was poured over it. This mixture contained, among other things, 1/4 cup of Amaretto and 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. It seemed a bit liquid-y, but I poured it over the batter and popped the skillet into the oven. 45 minutes later the cake was done–and had overflowed, creating a crackly, sticky, smoking mess at the bottom of the oven. Off went the smoke alarm: EVACUATE! EVACUATE! Sigh.

I scraped off what I could that night, and in the morning I scrubbed with a bit of dish soap, being careful not to compromise the oven’s surface. Then, after reading self-cleaning directions that emphasized the possibility of grease fires, I steam cleaned, and then, finally, pushed the self-cleaning button. It worked.

An interesting Valentine experience.

Meal of hummus with pita chips and veggies.
Hummus is easy to make w the immersion blender. I use a can of garbanzo beans (or the dry cook up fast in the pressure cooker pot), add in fresh garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and water so it blends well. Favorite add in is fresh horseradish–great kick! Other times, a little sour cream or geek yogurt and kalamata olives. I leave out the tahini paste. It has a good fresh taste without it. (And I am normally fond of chili sesame oil.)

The other day I conquered a terrifying yet delicious first attempt at gumbo. We were able to find nitrate free andoi sausage (I’m allergic to nitrates), which made this recipe possible. After spending several hours on the stove and an open tab to gumbocooking.com, I would say that gumbo isn’t for the faint of heart or everyday cooking but boy was it delicious.

I am new to the world of spaghetti squash. I’ve only made it four times. Last night instead of drowning it in tomato sauce with ground beef, because I’m a little afraid of the whole squash as noodles thing, I put pesto covered chicken on top. It wasn’t half bad and makes me willing to try some other variations. It helps that I finally found a good way to prep and cook the squash.

Next time try tossing in some butter, garlic, ricotta or parm for a lighter version. I also like adding spinach and sausage for a larger meal.

Ginger scallion rice bowl from Lukas Volger’s ‘Bowl’ cookbook. Love.

Making pork meatballs with zuchini noodles. smells divine.

Four lovely cookies and a glass of cider with tonic water. (Chores took ages last night; too tired to eat afterward.)

This was another one-pan wonder, a chicken roasted in a cast-iron skillet, on a ed of sliced leeks. garlic, and fingerling potatoes, and chopped bacon. The chicken is stuffed with some thyme, a bay leaf, and the dark green part of one of the leeks. A bit of the bacon fat is also poured into the cavity, chicken broth is poured into the skillet, and the whole thing is done in a 450-degree oven, which allows the browning stage to be omitted. Remember that bacon is salty; next time I’ll be more conservative in adding salt. This was very delicious.

I am in awe of the amazing dinners you make!

Do you use raw bacon or start the chicken with cooked bacon? It sounds delicious.

I’m pretty sure the bacon is fried to just short of crisp, and the fat reserved to pour into the cavity. It really was delicious!

(http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018590-coriander-seed-chicken-with-caramelized-brussels-sprouts NYTCooking: Coriander-Seed Chicken With Caramelized Brussels Sprouts by Melissa Clark.)

A friend made this at Crafty Moms weekend (a dozen of us at the coast, 14th year), and it was so good I had to try it at home. Delicious. We had it with buttered pasta last night, and mashed potatoes at the coast.

Yesterday I made something that I’ve not made in ages: Brunswick Stew. I forgot how much I love it. Leftovers for lunch; leftovers for dinner. Then we’ll see how long it last this week.

Homemade soup (celery, carrots, onions, rice, pumpkin, chicken stock) with a little BRISKET (!) added. Pretty darned good!