Return to MDK

Granito: A Sweater by Joji Locatelli

Good to know, thank you! I just may be ready to cast on today…

Has anyone else found that the body of this sweater is too short? I haven’t finished the body yet, but I’m at 14.5" from the bottom of the armhole and it doesn’t seem nearly long enough, even with another 1.5" to go… also, the pockets seem too high. For those who have finished, does the length issue resolve with blocking? I’m thinking about knitting it at least one inch longer than the instructions say, but I’d appreciate some feedback.

P.S. I have a short torso, with most of my height in my legs, so to have the sweater appear to be too short is unusual for me.

The short style is definitely not going to work for me. I like the silhouette of this modified Granito and plan to do something similar.

Coming late to your question as I just started my own Granito. Good for you for tackling topdown sweater-knitting! The 36+3 sts row is only the first of the short row section. Every row afterwards (knit and purl) will be longer by 3 sts. You are right that you are making the neck-section longer, but most important, you are basically building the shoulder slants on each side via the short rows. On every row, you are going to add 3 sts to the previous wrap-and-turn stitch, pretty much until you reach the end of the stitches on your needle.

Thanks for flagging this down. I read the paragraph in question before and wasn’t absolutely sure what she meant by “second next marker” To clarify, is the beginning of the round the second marker after the first front slip-stitches?

By the time I found this set of instructions, I was way too far along to figure them out. Once I got below the slipped stitches for the pockets, I figured it didn’t really matter where a round began. I arbitrarily chose the beginning of the first front slip-stitches, but it could be anywhere. Now I’m on the ribbing for the bottom, and will be so happy to get the body of this sweater off the needles so I can try it on more easily. I think the sleeves will call for may try-ons, and if I run out of yarn, I’m going to pull an Easel Sweater sleeve trick.

Sounds good. Depending on how much yarn you need, you could also use a contrast color for the inside pocket.

Laura

Now on the sleeves, which are too tight so I’m arbitrarily making them bigger. However, here’s my problem (not related to sleeves): the ribbing at the bottom is flipping up. I’ve had this problem before with other sweaters, so it’s not unique to this pattern or yarn, but I do think that blocking won’t help this particular problem. I don’t mind re-doing the ribbing, but not until I get a foolproof answer for how to fix it. Ideas, anyone?

I’ve finally joined the two parts and now it’s just all knitting. I was getting abit bored with it so had to put it down and cast on my blanket for baby!

My rule of thumb is to have at least 14 projects going!

Why fourteen, Ann? Is there something special about that number? (I only have six.)

Hi Judy,

I had the same rolling problem with the rib hem. I found this link that offers solutions: http://thecraftsessions.com/blog/2016/8/12/how-to-stop-hem-from-flipping

I frogged the hem and re-knit the last stockinette row using (k2tog, k8) all the way around fudging the end to have an even number. This seems to have fixed the roll for my sweater. I hope this helps! This sweater is too much of a brain teaser at the beginning to boff it on the simple stuff in the end!

This is GREAT! Thank you so much. I think I will be frogging that HUGE band of ribbing at the bottom, but it will be worth it. Knitters rock!

Thanks for the great link, I’m adding that slip stitch method to my tips and tricks classes!

HI-I’ve just arrived at the ribbing part on my Granito and have been worried about the “flipping up” problem. I wondered if sizing down my needle would be a good idea. Or maybe a turned hem? Has anyone solved this annoying problem??
Wait a minute!!! Just saw the reply from elecamel06- I’m heading to the link right now!

I’m finally nearly finished with this behemoth. Doubt I’ll make it again; it’s way too fiddly. I ripped out the ribbing and did it again on a needle one size smaller than called for, and I also decreased once every eight stitches by doing a K2tog. I think it will be okay, and the fewer stitches in the ribbing don’t seem to matter.

I also sewed up the pocket holes, because it seemed the pockets were too high on the body of the sweater. Now I just have the pocket edge ribbing as a design element, and I tacked it down about every 1" so it didn’t flop out.

The yarn I used (Brooklyn Tweed Loft) is not plied very much, which means it breaks if you look at it funny. So I have ZILLIONS of ends to weave in. I should be able to manage that by the end of the day today, then into the sink it goes for blocking tomorrow.

Finally done! I had some distraction issues with the endlessness of this one for sure. I also clearly have a darker yarn color change issue at the bottom edge but with this yarn I didn’t notice it enough for it to bother me, I’m pretending it’s a styling element. Otherwise it’s soft and awesome and I love it.

It’s beautiful! Way to ace the fit–Granito suits you so well.

I love the yarn color shift–I’m weird that way. I think if a yarn is hand
dyed, the variations are part of why it’s beautiful. It also happens to
work really well in your Granito–the bottom seems like a perfectly
sensible place for a darker skein to land.

And what a background, wow! Could it be more painterly?

What’s your next knit? Don’t you feel like you just climbed the Matterhorn?
Well done!

I have at least 6 WIPs that I can think of and a reasonable person would finish one of those next I guess. Instead I swatched for stonecutter :slight_smile: