Return to MDK

Join the Slow Cooker Odyssey with Carrington Fox

I just had to try the sweet potato soup tonight. I went with 4 yams, 1/2 of a granny smith apple, and added a bit of curry powder to the seasonings. Also made liberal use of Better than Bouillon which I add to just about any dish involving liquid these days. Apart from taking closer to 5 hours at high heat (could be an issue with my crockpot), the soup was delicious. Keep those easy-peasy recipes coming!

The sweet potato soup was a hit. Tonight we are making macaroni and cheese with cheddar, mozzarella, and sour cream to make it creamy. We add leeks cooked in the water with the pasta. We usually use rotini for the noodle type. A friend from Denmark made this for us and it has become a staple in the winter. Our vegetarian daughter is here for the weekend so we need to feed her.

The piece of advice I’ve used so far from this welcomed post was to substitute chicken brother or stock for water. I made a pea soup in the crockpot last week and did use the stock. Three times during the week my husband mentioned that it was the best pea soup I’ve ever made and that’s the only change that occurred! Thank you!

Belinda used to make a Nigella mac & cheese recipe that has leeks in it. Everybody loves it.

Mum is bringing the slow cooker this weekend, so I’m trying to decide what to try first… Soup from the blog post? Or something more adventurous? :confused: :slight_smile:

Slow Cooker is great for Indian dishes, if you need a suggestion.

I just put a stew on the heat. My father used to make his beef stew for me wen ever I visited. served with a salad and a sour dough roll. My recipe is derived from his but I am a little less rigid! He used to be very specific about what he put in. I am more apt to experiment. But whenever I make stew I am remembering my dad.

Thanks Kay! I shall have a poke around for recipes. Curry is fairly popular with the kids so that’s a good starting point. :slight_smile:

Trying a little chuck roast today. :slight_smile:

I’ve got two li’l pork roasts and I’m throwing those suckers in for the duration. Some kind of pulled pork deal is the goal–what’s a spice to add that I haven’t thought of?

So, blind follower that I am, I had to try Carrington Fox’s chicken recipe right away. I followed instructions closely and found some Carribbean jerk-style spices in my cupboard which I used sparingly as a picky 5-year-old was going to be among the dinner guests.

I was skeptical (terrified, really) about the lack of liquid, since I first practiced crock-pot cooking in the 1980’s where it was all about adding liquid. It was a huge leap of faith not to cheat and add a tiny bit of chicken broth, but it paid off handsomely. I couldn’t believe how juicy the chicken and potatoes turned out. So much better than when I added liquid or used chicken in parts – never again.

I substituted canola oil for butter before broiling and the skin ended up just okay, not a delicious crispy gold all over. I’ll settle for okay since okay is healthier for me (and I shouldn’t be eating that crispy skin anyway).
What I’ll do differently next time: use less garlic and maybe more of the Carribbean jerk rub.

Hmmm. It’s a little late for today’s dinner, but… maybe the smoked paprika, or some ancho chile, something with a little heat. Garlic. Cinnamon, ginger, and something orange. Grated orange peel?
–Susan Mitz
susan.mitz@att.net

I too made the chicken at the weekend and was similarly worried about the lack of liquid! How funny. :slight_smile: But it all turned out brilliantly, and was completely delicious.

I’ve been playing with the slow cooker and really enjoying it! We did the chicken yesterday, and last week I made some split pea soup which was a total winner! I’ve also done some chilli con carne - a massive family favourite and also what we’re having on Christmas day (we always have a meal that’s cooked in advance so that we can play with the kids and not stress about cooking). I’m now making a serious plan for which slow cooker to buy for the family, as I’m just borrowing my Mum’s at the moment… Such fun!

If you are thinking of buying, may I suggest getting one that allows you to saute in addition to slow cooking. You don’t have to use separate pan to saute onions, for example. So convenient and less cleanup. Mine is a Cuisinart Multi-cooker. It is great.

Easy dinner idea, not sure how long it would take in slow cooker as I still don’t have one:
Chicken Adobo:
(or substitute pork shoulder butt, 1 inch cubes)
6 bone in chicken thighs (mine were frozen(
4 bay leaves
15 whole peppercorns
2+ garlic cloves
1/2 cup (low sodium) soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (or cane sugar vinegar is what I have)
1/2 cup water
(up to 1 tablespoon of sugar)

Throw all in the pot, bring to a boil, and after 5 minutes change to slow simmer is the stovetop method. When chicken is about to fall apart, it’s ready (more than an hour, less than two). Serve with rice and at my house lots of broccoli.
This time I had 4 thighs and a small packet of bony pork country spare ribs, so I took the chicken out and let the pork cook another hour or two.

I made the soup with purple sweet potatoes. :purple_heart: Threw in some old celery, green onions, and rosemary. Yum! :yum:

I just made a simple beef stew with only 3 ingredients. You need 2 lbs of beef stew meat, a can of condensed vegetarian vegetable soup, and a box of potato gnocchi.
All I did was mix together the meat and the soup with a half can of water in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. When it was done, I cooked the gnocchi and dumped it in. I liked the gnocchi better than potatoes.
My kids actually surprised me and liked it. Especially the gnocchi.
Now I wonder if the gnocchi can be dumped in with the meat saving the separate pot.
I wish I could say this recipe was all my idea. It came from Woman’s Day two ingredient recipes. The addition of gnocchi was mine though.

Update;
I made this stew again and added the gnocchi with the meat and soup. The gnocchi weren’t mushy. Even easier!

So now that slow cooking has become my new foodie obsession, I’m buying up cookbooks like they’re going out of style. Just got my hands on ‘The Asian Slow Cooker’ by Kelly Kwok that was published a few weeks ago and it is amazing what she has figured out you can make in a slow cooker, really recommend it. She also has a blog at http://lifemadesweeter.com that had more fabulous recipes.

Finally bought a crock pot! It was sitting on a shelf at ACE hardware calling my name. I had been hemming and hawing about getting one with a browning feature or all sorts of “smart” features, but a ceramic insert and $39 was too compelling to pass up. And, I had my car with me so I wouldn’t have to carry it up the hill to my apartment. I made Cassoulet and it was delicious. I couldn’t find dry beans so I used well rinsed canned ones. Where have all the dry beans gone? Next up, steel cut oats.