Return to MDK

Logalong: Inspiration for Fringe and Friends Log Cabin Knitalong

Go for it! This is a gorgeous pattern–and wow, it will be delicious in Hazel Knits Artisan Sock yarn! What colorway are you using?

Thank you, I’m excited to see how it turns out! I’ll be using Quill, Nickel, and Periwinkle. I’m planning on the larger version, so if I run short, my safety net will be subbing in Zest as a bind off or contrast color. :crossed_fingers:t3:It works.

Maybe you need a technique video on this,Kay. I had a similar problem trying to visualize where to poke the needle to start each pickup.

Progress report
unnamed-3
and a forgotten WIP from 2006
unnamed

I decided to resume knitting on this Noro freestyle log cabin. It will be a log as you go. I have started three different rectangles and I am not sure how many I will do. It is nice to have something to knit upon that does not require too much attention.

First square is done, good proof of concept! Each side is about 13 inches, and it will be a 6x6 blanket. A question though: I’m used to having a cast off edge on all four sides. How should I seam a cast off edge to a garter side edge when I assemble? Trying to decide my best edge treatment to make sewing up easier. I think with this pattern I don’t want to use three needle bind off because I don’t want any lines between the squares. How to make it the quiltiest?

I found this to be really helpful for how to pick up stitches
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2009/06/24/pickup_lines.html

Thanks for this link, super helpful. I’m not doing my pick up this way, so for consistency sake I’ll just continue down the road I’m on. But your post is bookmarked for eternity for the next log cabin project.

Well I have raided the vintage Cascade 220 stash and feel a blanket coming on! Everyone in the family has a blanket I knitted except for me… off to wind a dozen skeins or so. Stay tuned!

Thanks!! Yes, that is really good!

Hi Jen! I’m facing the same seaming question–my sequence log cabin is going to have all sorts of different edges, and I don’t want to have lines between any of the squares. My thought is to go with mattress stitch, which I actually love to do, and just try to be artful about it. If you slip the first stitch of each row, I think you’ll have a much easier time of it. But of course I never do this, so anybody else who reads this who is a slip-stitcher, please chime in.

This is how I do it, too! Excellent explanation from the Yarn Harlot.

Log Cabin Dishcloth Number 1! You can see that my “picking up stitches neatly” ability increased massively as I went. If it was anything other than a dishcloth I would tink it. It was a great idea of yours to suggest a few dishcloths for practice before starting on the shawl.

This is a great reminder of your progress and a new skill set unlocked. Hooray!!

That peachy color that pops up is so, so good. Feeling all the Noro feels looking at this.

I’m enjoying how my shawl is coming together, and I think I’m going to use that Russian join suggestion for upcoming color changes.

Here is the finished Log Cabinish Hat. The top ended up forming little points around my head. Unexpected fun.

Another Log Cabin project is in the planning stages while I knit something else. It may be browns and russets.

Other side of the hat

And the top. I’ve since made sure all the points were … pointing.

On the website for Arne and Carlos, they have several tutorials in which they slip the first stitch. However, they seem to twist it also. I watched several times and can’t figure what he (Arne or Carlos) is doing. Any ideas?