Return to MDK

Logalong: Inspiration for Fringe and Friends Log Cabin Knitalong

How fun is that! I’ve never made a log cabin hat. It really works!

Before you decide, try whip stitch. I think it would “hide” in the bumps of most textured edges, and it has the advantage of being a flat seam on both sides.

I figured it out. If you are slipping in a purl direction, keep the yarn forward and then move it back between the two stitches to knit.

I was cruising the internet and looking for videos of techniques and came across the “Log Cabin Scrap Blanket”. It is a free pattern on verypink.com with a video. Interesting.

OK friends, I come to you with some field research results! Prepare yourself for a photo essay below.

My usual method is to slip (wyib) the first stitch of each row and purl the last stitch of each row. When I pick up stitches for log cabining, I go through both loops because I like that firmish ridge on the back, I like the structure it gives to the blanket. Here’s a picture of my edges (and a little bit of my pickup seams on the back):

I experimented with Ann’s suggestions of mattress seaming, even though I was a little afraid of gappiness. I’m happy to report that all seams look good! I tried it out sewing the edges of my one completed square together. For all of these, I did my mattress seam going in the space between the two edge loop "V"s and the next stitch. Here’s two slipped edges mattress seamed together. Pretty invisible!

And here’s mattress seaming a slipped side edge to a boundoff edge.

They both look good and invisible to me, snugging up to each other without big gaps. The back seams are firm, slightly firmer than the internal log cabin pickup seams, but I like that this will add some structure to the blanket. Here’s the back view of these two seams:

Armed with this plan, I’m ready to make 35 more squares (yikes!). But I can keep going with my habitual edging and not think about it as I go (yay!)

I have an edge finish something like this which I learned at a knitting class a while ago and can’t remember to whom to give the credit.
It goes like this:
At the end of the row, slip the stitch as if to purl with yarn in front.
Turn work.
Knit the first stitch through the back.
This makes a really nice edge finish with stitches easy to pick up. I use it on all log cabin garter stitch and on all dishcloths.
Hope this is helpful.
Dianne

I’ve been thinking about jumping on this bandwagon for a while and this weekend I realized what was holding me back. After all of my years of knitting, I never really learned how to count ridges in garter stitch. I always just kept track of how many rows I had knit.

I’ve been in a science fair-ish mood lately so I grabbed some scrap yarn, pulled out my Log Cabin Little Golden Book (aka Field Guide No. 4) and experimented. I was pretty sure I almost had it so I looked at a few garter patterns and lo and behold, the one thing that was still bothering me was right there in the fabulous Ms. Mucklestone’s Station Wagon Blanket Pattern. Count the cast on as your first row. It all came together.

Now to decide what to do. I was too lazy to get off the couch and Sorority Boys (my all time favorite stupid movie) was on so I decided to play my favorite knitting game–Knit What You Can Reach! As I was grabbing for some thing in arms reach I came up with this ball of Noro (there’s a ton more in the bedroom) and cast on the basic dishcloth. I’m in love! These are colors that I love but they’re not particularly flattering on me. They will, however, look fan-freakin’-tastic with my sister’s new winter coat. So there will be seven (maybe eight) squares, each of which should be about 8.5 inches square, joined with a three needle bind off and finished with an attached i-cord edging to make her a nice cowl to get her through the rest of the winter.

I wacked one of my new stitch markers on the front to make sure I knew which side the RS was. I’m in love with them too. They’re from Brooklyn Haberdashery and were a lovely gift from another artsy friend.

Do you have instructions for the Greek Key? Being Greek I would love to gift my sister with something inspired by the Greek Key!

Scroll up and look at Nell’s project. You might find some inspiration there.

Hi, Not Rocket Science!

I’m using the Courthouse Steps as the basis for the spiral, or key, and blogged a bit about it here
My ratio, to make a rectangle is 2 to 1 or 10 wide and 5 high.

I was up very early this morning, snuggled on the couch, knitting on my second Noro log cabin square and minding my own business when I looked out my living room window to see if it was raining yet and I pretty much got struck by lightning! This has been in my window for almost 20 years and I’ve owned it for even longer. Day-um! That could be an amazing log cabin project. I can’t stop thinking about it and playing with the idea. I had plans to go into work early today but instead, ended up being a half hour late.

I’ve started charting out some of the squares. This could be really interesting. I may have to revive the blog.

P.S. For any dyed in the wool New Yorkers, this window is in the same family as the ones at the Old Town Bar on East 18th Street. I got mine at a yard sale in Water Mill, NY for a song a long time ago. One of these days, I’m going to do a little research on them.

Can you say any more or explain how you are going to sew ribbon on to the blanket? By hand or machine? was it a border? Thanks

I hand stitched a few pieces of ribbon onto the edge so they hang down and are available for Pyper to hold. Since he was a baby he has liked silky ribbon and silky labels in clothing as a comforter. I have also sewn other lengths of ribbon on the blanket to teach him how to tie laces, and embroidered his name. I’m not sure he will appreciate the blanket right now but maybe he will grow up with it and pass it onto his own children if he has any? My sister ,daughter,niece and I all have what we call inheritance quilts sewn and embroidered by my Mum from squares of our dresses etc. when we were children. When I discovered knitted log cabin patchwork I thought I’d have a go myself. Will post both Pyper’s and Neve’s blankets when I have finished Neve’s which I am two thirds of the way through at the moment.

Love the random colour coordination!

Love the monochrome colour pattern. When I have finished Neve’s quilt I intend to knit a patchwork blanket using all my natural coloured handspun wool.

Beautiful. Love the colours!

Need some nine-patch inspiration?

http://www.washburngallery.com/exhibitions/2018_1_ray-parker/?view=images

I love those. Nines…

Plugging away on my Derecho. I’m on the last section before the border!! I’m taking a quick break from it to knit up a pair of Karen’s Log Cabin mitts. It’s freezing here in Grand Rapids, MI so I’m thinking of doing some mods to make them into full mittens.

One month into this knitalong and my Moderne Log Cabin Blanket is progressing. I’m thinking of it as my “War and Peace” knitting.