Return to MDK

The Eddy Wrap, from Julia Farwell-Clay

In no particular order: the kit has plenty of yarn for the border colors.
If you want to add an additional layer of colored shells, you can still start with 110 stitches and go from there. The note about stitch count in the foundation is mostly to cover the bases of yarn substitutions, so if someone decided they needed to use a Sport weight and still wanted to match the sample size, they would have to increase the foundation triangle stitch count to a larger “multiple of 14” before beginning the shells. In this case of adding a row, you should stick to the foundation instructions as written, and just add a row of colored shells before you work the final garter shells at the border.
And yes: the 7 colors are placed arbitrarily, keeping the darker colors and the “pop” colors evenly spaced. I didn’t place any foundation color in the first row because I thought it might look like a missing tooth to have the foundation color jut into the row, but that’s just my personal preference and you could if you wanted. The color chart is one way to do it; you can certainly go your own way if or when you like with the designer’s blessing.

Well! I might have said “gauge, schmauge,” but I actually got nearly perfect with this gorgeous yarn! Susie the Alpaca must have been happy with her sari, lol!

I pulled out my bits and bobs bowl of ends and those little samples you get to swatch with at yarn tastings and when you buy “x” amount of yarn, etc., and I think I have quite a few things that will make my sari colors pop out, which is kinda, sorta my plan. Or bright jewel tones, as the case may be. What do y’all think?

I’m knitting frantically and almost ready to add scallops (maybe, thinking about making it bigger!).

Can’t wait to see the scallopification! Curious about your bits n bobs…

There are so many great colors to pull in with this foundation. I can’t wait to see what you choose.

I agree with @Ann1 and @nellknits: this is super exciting! If you want a bigger foundation, check your numbers against the advice at the end of Notes on page 4.

My friend, if Irma lands in my front yard, my bits and bobs just might be yours to inspect very closely - as in blowing into your window!

I keep repeating to myself “no more knitting until you get the hurricane stuff done” but I don’t want to!!

Gotta tell you - I’m a 4th generation Floridian and I live in a mid century modern home, the kind that my friends in their gated subdivisions visit during most hurricanes and tropical storms. I weathered Andrew as a single girl in an apartment with Perrier and peanut butter crackers because I had to back up the computer at work, and the year of the four hurricanes (2004) I was out of electric and running water for 19 days and we were fine (but I will never donate to the Red Cross again). We even “evacuated” the kids to Disney between Hurricanes Charley and Dennis, but I don’t recommend trying to outrun the eye to anyone who has never done it before. Also, seeing Disney with hurricane damage immediately afterward and before Mickey’s helpers can clean it up is not a beneficial sight for children. Oops! I don’t even get water and batteries anymore for anything less than a 3, but…

You knew I had a point, right? This one scares me. I’m actually gathering insurance policies, calculating our deductible, trying to find doggie records, making sure the county remembers I’m alive and that I have refrigerated meds, nagging hubs into charging things, etc. We are definitely in a prime area for looters, so hoping it doesn’t happen. But I would much rather have my family and doggies safe than anything else! And the stash comes with me!

Stay safe and I hope for everyone in Florida that Irma is fickle and decides to make a zig or a zag back out to the ocean. She does look mean and menacing!

Good luck to you, Deb–we’ll all be thinking about you and hoping for the best.

Holding you gently, Deb. Hoping all goes well. I worked in Miami with Habitat after Andrew and the completely smashed houses and denuded palm trees haunt me to this day. Be safe.

Be safe Deb. Looks like you’re doing the smart things. I’ll be thinking of you, yours and all in the path of this very menacing hurricane. I hope that the situation makes a turn for the better soon.

Finished the right side shell tiers and am in the process of binding off. It’s looking good! As I move on to the left tiers though I realized I only have 82 yards of the main color left. Do you think that will be enough to do the 11 main color shells called for on the left? I guess I should have been stingier with that color as I went along.
Joining everyone with thoughts and prayers for those impacted by Irma.

That’s so lovely to see!!! Way to go, Maureen!

Plenty! You’ll be fine.
If you worry about yarn amounts, knit a shell and unravel it to measure how much yarn you used. I’m guessing at most they use about 2 and a half yards a piece, so you’re golden.

Thank you for the reassurances. After I finish weaving in ends, I’ll start the left side and measure out how much yarn a single shell uses up, and report back. Might be helpful if some people are using bits and pieces from their stash to create their own color combos.

I have a question about the technique. I am still knitting in color A and working on the shell foundation rows. I am confused about the technique for S1 wyif and the next stitch is a knit stitch. For example: (RS) S1 knit X…earlier the instructions said to always slip wyif. Is that still true and is that slipping purl-wise or knit-wise? Stupid question, probably, but either way, I have to move the yarn to the back to knit and both ways that makes an extra twist and a bigger bump and sometimes there’s a yarn over looking stitch on the way back. Watching the great videos on the shells, it looks like Julia is slipping in the knit rows, knit-wise with yarn in back but I would greatly appreciate any clarification.

The slipping of the stitch with the yarn in front seemed more simple to me overall, but the stitch doesn’t care in the grand scheme of things. I say in the videos that the stitch doesn’t have an orientation yet so you can’t really twist it (I mean, you CAN, but that’s a lot of work). I think however you prefer is best, and if you see that I slipped it knit wise, then I probably did. No matter: let’s say that you should slip the stitch with the yarn in the tidiest way that works for you, so knit wise on knit rows, and purlwise on purl rows. I’ll consult with my tech editor and see if there needs to be a change in the language.

Thanks for the very quick reply! I’m sure your tech language is fine - I am hugely literal and it can sometimes lead me into confusing conversations. This is in the shell foundation rows where maybe it is the wyif stipulation that is most confusing to me. (I think you are correct about knitwise/purlwise). Please comment instead on the wyif slip where you then immediately move the working yarn around to the back for the knit stitch - giving it that extra wrap around the neck. :slight_smile: am I understanding that right? I am an English-style knitter

when you move the yarn to the front, are you wrapping it? I’m not sure I am picturing this well. I wish I could sit next to you so we could work this out quickly.

If you slip wyif in the garter stitch foundation shells, then you pass the yarn between the slipped stitch and the next stitch to be worked, no wrapping.

But as I said, since the slipped stitch doesn’t care, by all means slip wyib (with yarn in back) and carry on!

Ok! Thanks very much! I woke up thinking wouldn’t be great to sit next to you and get this straight in 10 seconds but I think I have it now! I’m looking forward to all the shells!

When I did my small shell test I tried both ways and it did not matter.
As with most knitterly things, consistency matters more.