Return to MDK

The Eddy Wrap, from Julia Farwell-Clay

Whew! Okay - first stuff first! Thank y’all so much for the thoughts, prayers and wishes. I’m very sure that’s what got us through a very scary night. As I mentioned, this wasn’t my first hurricane (I’m telling my age here, but that was Camille and I was 2 and only remember the waves on Bayshore Boulevard, hunkering down in my Dad’s battalion Quonset hut, finding billiard balls like Easter eggs in bushes, and whole roofs laying on the yards across the street from their houses, 'nuff said?)

Anyway, we are pretty much in better shape than many other people in the area. All of us and the doggies are great, just hot. We have no power or running water, but we planned for that and expected it. I’m telling you, these older Florida homes, built in the '50s and early '60s, the kind called Mid Century Modern a/k/a concrete block ranchers, were made to get through a nuclear winter!! Many of the homes from the '70s forward, including the one I was raised in, have sustained major damage, and don’t even get me started on the acres and acres of subdivisions we call the “Golden Ghettos” that have drained this state of its natural resources and water supplies. They’re now a bunch of matchsticks.

We lost our 60 year old pink grapefruit tree and sour orange tree. The Japanese maple outside our bedroom window is gone as well, along with our molded concrete (and I’m talking molded into the slab, along with the benches, the only things that weren’t cast together were the decorative tiles!) picnic table and benches. Again, original to the house, 1957. All night long I kept hearing something metallic banging and couldn’t figure out what it was - it was the neighbor 2 houses down’s roof tiles piercing our well tanks! Luckily, we have 3 - one for the sprinkler system, one for the septic and greywater, and one for the real house water. The sprinkler and septic took the brunt of the tiles, mainly the sprinklers! And hubs said that we can divert the others to the house well once we get electricity back on. Hopefully, that will be soon! I would love to have a hot meal and a shower!

Now, back to knitting… Julia, I nearly finished the main part of my wrap last night, but I’m having trouble with the math. Never have been very good at it, lol! My plan (and yarn) is to have 11 scallops, at 154 stitches on each side of the shawl. So exactly how many extra stitches do I add to EACH side? 12 for a total of 166 per side and 322 for the shawl? Or 12 total and 310 for the shawl?

Or am I so far off it’s not even in the ballpark and I need to go find a bunch of people to take their shoes and socks off so I can start counting?

Going back to the Stone Age,

Deb

Deb, I am so glad to hear from you! And glad to hear you are all fine, if a little battered from the storm. I’ll continue to think of you as news of getting everything back up and running continues. What an ordeal!

So your knitting must be essential soul food right now and I consider it a small part in keeping you sane to help you figure this out.

I’m offline most of today, so forgive me if this is all I can send you until Wednesday morning. The pattern on page 4 at the end of the Notes section has the guidance for adjusting the final foundation stitch count number if your yarn is a different gauge from the Ultra Alpaca. You need to keep a multiple of 14 stitches for the shells, but you finish working a basic triangular shawl one row before you hit that multiple. The reason is the set up row adds the final 2 stitches to each side of the shawl, 4 altogether. If 14 represents one shell unit in the row, the row looks like [13, 14, 14, 14, 14 – etc, 13] center marker [13, 14, 14, 14, 14 – etc, 13]. The final foundation row adds the increases you need to bring the end shell units to 14 at the same time as the short rows that set the stage for the colored shells that follow.

So when you get to the target number in the shawl – 110 on each side of the center marker – it will require an additional 14 rows (or 7 garter rides) until you hit the next multiple, and the first few numbers are there: 124, 138. If you want 11 scallops, the basic shawl has 9 scallops in the first colored row. They build out of a foundation of 8 scallops, each subsequent row adds one scallop to the number. So if you want to begin with 11 scallops, you need a multiple of 10 for the foundation minus 2 (for the stitches you’ll be adding int he foundation row). So 10 times 14 minus 2 is 138. You’ll need to knit 28 additional rows (14 garter ridges) into your shawl before you begin the foundation row.

I hope this helps. I’m sorry for the loss of your beloved trees. I am a gardener in my non-knitting life, so losing a 60 year old grapefruit tree would feel like losing a pet. Be well.

Note to others if they think they can place the stitch markers as they knit the Set Up for Shells section. DON’T do it because if you KFB and place the stitch marker after 13 stitches, you’ll be off a stitch throughout and end up with 14 stitches before the center marker. It took me forever to figure out where I went wrong. It would be good to have a good supply of removable stitch markers on hand to mark off those stitches before you start. :smirk: Carefully Frogged back on the right side to start over. Knitting is always full of practice runs for me but those are when I learn.

Hard-won wisdom–thank you, Nancy, for this. When stuff like this happens
to me, I just knit a bunch of stockinette on some other project to shake it
off!

xo A.

Well, maybe no one else will try to do this, or, if they do, will take into account the fact that they’ve added a stitch and do it properly, but I like when others post snafus because it just might be the snafu they’ve helped me avoid after reading it so that why I posted it. :slight_smile:️ Thanks for your kind words of understanding. I did switch to cutting out motifs for a collage quilt and will continue on today. I did place all the markers correctly before I begin this time!

There is something wonderful out there. If your local yarn shop doesn’t carry it go to your local fabric/sewing/quilting store. It’s put out by Dritz (yes the sewing people) and they call them pear shaped safety pins. The package has lots in it and better still there is no coil, and the ‘pear’ end fits over the needles and works as a stitch marker. I stuck my 8’s I’m using for something else thru the ‘pear’ end and it fit so I’m looking forward to getting to the scallops on my Eddy to try them out.
ETA - also called bulb pins

I have some of those that I bought at my LYS. Unfortunately I didn’t have quite enough but I just took some contrasting yarn and wrapped it around the needle for the last three sets of 14/14/13 stitches and I’m good to go. I need to get some more of these though. They’re really handy dandy!

I just finished Tier 6 on the right hand side - those shells are addictive! I forgot to read the actual pattern instructions for that tier and missed the part about knit all the stitches - oops! So I knit one more wrong side row hoping that will help a bit with the rolling of stockinette stitch. My question is about the bind-off: is a stretchy bind-off recommended or is just a regular one ok?

I used a regular bind off, maybe one size up in the needle. I worry about rolling, would you consider working an additional tier so you can put a garter stitch edge on it?

Sure, I can do that! Do I understand correctly that the whole tier will be knit stitches, both on the right & wrong sides of each shell? (Thank you for your help!)

I’m not Julia, but I can answer this - Yes, you’ll want to knit both sides.

Bless you. That was just the question I was looking for an answer for!

Thanks so much for posting the image. Good reference!

Am I knitting the shells too tightly? They are so puckered I’m not sure that they will block out flat. None of the photos posted here or on Ravelry look as sharp and pointed as mine are turning out. I’m also concerned that my set up shell area seems quite holey.

Nope, this look exactly right. If you doubt their blockability, make yourself a nice cup of tea, and while you’re waiting for the water to boil, hold a few shells over the steam for a little bit, then pat them out on a flat surface. A quick steam block to preview how they’ll behave is all you need to calm your fears. As for the holes, you may have given your turn stitches a little too much extra yarn, but if it’s regular, it will look intentional. Also worth knowing: Alpaca blooms in the blocking so you probably won’t notice the holes when all is said and dried. I can’t see anything wrong from here, if that’s a reassurance.

Bonus: I LOVE YOUR COLORS!!!

I’ll let Julia speak to the shells, but I just have to say: golly this is
going to be beautiful!!!

Well, I don’t have a teakettle (I make water for tea in the microwave upstairs and in an instant little maker in the studio) so I held my steam iron on steam a few inches above the shawl on the ironing board and gently pressed out and see what you mean so, whew!

I cut 3 yard pieces to take with me to work on the shawl during some health and music lectures this week. I only need the full ball of yarn for the ending shell since it’s used to knit across with. I also put 3 cuttings of each color in their own bags since I find myself substituting or rearranging the color in some spots. I added one more color, Oceana which is a very deep green/blue to sometimes trade out where the salt and pepper is called for, and I added the candied yam color to use in lieu of the tiger’s eye for a tad brighter pop of color here and there. I have never tried changing around colors in knitting before but these shells lend themselves to trying it out. I’m in a block of the month quilt class that’s also a color study so that’s also inspired to try things out colorwise.

Thanks for the reassurance Julia, and for the nice comment Ann.

I’m glad you found it helpful! The shells are really fun to knit once you get going.

The colors in your Eddy are beautiful…love the candied yam!
Thank you for the tip about precutting 3 yard strips of yarn for the shells. That sure beats lugging around all seven cakes to knitting group.

Finished the knitting part and have sewn in all the ends. I hope to do the blocking over the weekend and will send another photo next week. Hopefully the wrap will be less puckered after a good block.

This was a fun pattern to knit, Julia…except for sewing in all those ends! Thank you for the thorough instructions. I always learn so much being part of a KAL both from following a pattern and from other knitter’s comments and questions.

Happy first day of Fall!