Return to MDK

The Handspinning Corner

Reading this thread, I’m reminded of how little I spun this year. Two moves, one international, really put a crimp in everything but knitting. We are now relatively settled in a house, should be here for at least a few years, and I am ready to get back to spinning. What is it about the rhythmic tread and the work of the hands that make spinning so magical? I don’t completely know but I’m ready to get back to the magic.

Ohh, I’m definitely going to give this a try! Excellent tip!

Hi there! I’m a wannabe spinner (I just signed up for a March beginner spinning class at Loop in Philly). I wanted to share that I just stumbled across this delightful 1978 mini-documentary called “Hands,” about sheep trade and spinning in Ireland. There are enough hardy and skilled hands, rosy faces, sheepy goodness, fleeces, and spinning wheels (including great/walking wheels) in this half-hour to keep me smiling for hours. Hope you enjoy!

And here I have my very first full skein that was spun and plied on my drop spindle - 160 yards of about fingering weight yarn that I love with an unholy passion. I’m thrilled and can’t wait to finish plying it’s companion skein!

Wow! Congratulations! It’s really beautiful. MAKE MOAR!!!

I loved that documentary!

Having seen a sample of Samoyed dog hair spun and knitted into fabulous mittens at a recent Guild meeting, I was reminded of when I taught spinning to an adult ed. class in the 1970s. A class member made a handbag from her dog hair. It looked quite professional, but if it rained you could smell her coming a mile away. Wet dog! I have started blending my long haired cat hair with Shetland fleece and intend to knit a lacy shawl. Thankfully cat hair does not smell!