Return to MDK

What I'm Making

I visited Nashville last month and bought these kick-@ss boots. I knit this Zephyr Shawlette to go with them. My sister wants one just like it for her birthday, so I’m now knitting another one.

Late to the party as usual, I cast on Ann Budd’s Apres Anything Sock from the MDK Field Guide #2 the other day in some gloriously soft baby llama yarn–khaki for the MC, navy for the Accent. I didn’t follow Ann’s advice to turn the thing inside out so my floats wouldn’t be too tight so they were. Too. Tight. I tried to fool myself for ten rounds of leg that “it’ll loosen up when I block it” but at 4:12 yesterday morning the truth woke me up. No, it wouldn’t block out and besides I’d changed my mind about the accent color. So as soon as I got up I ripped back past the color, got the stitches back on the needles, and wound the new accent, Orange Amber, so that I could get back on track. So much better. Now I’m happy.

Looking good! My trouble with the slip stitches, the first pair of these I
made, was that I kept thinking I could read my knitting and just go with
it–but slip stitching is not the same as good old Fair Isle, so I kept
slipping on the wrong stitch. Moral of the story: Just follow the pattern,
Ann!

Full disclosure–the one “slant” I screwed up was posed on the other side of the sock. It’s a sock and it was the second round, plus I was at work. I’ll do better next sock.

I love it! The stripes are great.

I just finished these socks. (I don’t like socks that match). I used some odds and ends of Knit Picks Stroll I had hanging around.

Excuse the girl scout cookies on the table. Weaving in ends is hungry work.

Last winter I made a sweater out of Plucky Knitter’s Scholar, in Wintry Mix. (I don’t know whether that term has quite the impact in mildish climates that it does here in the Up North; the Plucky Knitters work their magic just down the road from here, and they knew exactly what they were about when they gave this creamy, gray-y, beige-y stuff that name. It looks so much better on yarn than it does when it’s falling from the sky.)

Anyway, that sweater, even though the pattern was lovely, and by a wonderful designer, just wasn’t right. It needed yarn much lighter than Scholar, although I had persuaded myself that it would be fine. So I unraveled it and waited. Then along came Hannah Fettig’s Texture, and in it, the Artwalk Cardi. Perfect! I got gauge immediately. Knitting it is fun–the pattern is as easy as it is pretty–and I’m sailing along.

In the background, in more than one way, is my husband’s Goatherder, a beautiful Ann Budd pattern I’m knitting in Shelter, in a dark dark navy with many-colored flecks. This poor sweater keeps getting shoved aside in favor of bright shiny things that catch my eye (cough Hadley cough), but it too is fun knitting, and I love my husband, and I will get it done, someday.

What a beautiful batch of knitting. I love seeing what you’re making. Very
inspiring–and yes, I’m having a lot of trouble with project fidelity
myself these days. Knit whatever’s in front of you, I say!

I’m planning to spend what is promising to be a very, very cold weekend playing a game I like called “Knit What You Can Reach.” Whatever is closest in the moment is what gets knit on.

that is awesome! love dr Seuss also.

Kick ass shawl as well. Nice boots;)

Thank you! I am enjoying the heck out of both. And now knitting more MDK Euroflax minis, new design on the needles.

Finished the Apres Llama Socks last night. Here they are in the initial try-on before blocking. Love this yarn–Mirasol Miski 100% Baby Llama which, to my shock, isn’t discontinued. I usually fall in love with a yarn just as its maker decides not to make any more.

My friend is going to be a grandmother this summer, these are for her granddaughter to be. :slight_smile:

hi y’all! i just need to tell someone. i have finished the staghorn aran sweater for Beloved that I started in January 2016. well, ok. so i need to bind off the neckband and block, but i can get that done in a hurry this evening, and i’ve just been waiting and waiting and waiting to actually feel ACCOMPLISHED with this thing. this was the most elaborate knit i have tackled so far. saddle shoulders, aran cabling, and all for a person who is 6’1". IT WAS SO MUCH KNITTING.

it looks terrific, i gotta say. pics later, once i get it on the blocking mat. WOWSERS AM I PROUD.

I finished my Vendange and am casting about for something that will use the yarn I have. Has anyone seen the Brandon Mably lass on creative bug? fun. He shows how he makes his poppies. all about color. I want to start something but I am afraid it will become one of those projects that lay about languorously, taking up space and mocking me.

I’ve got a house full of layabouts! Merciless teasers, I try to ignore them
as* I cast on yet another thing.*

I finished my Vendange and am casting about for something that will use the yarn I have.
Has anyone seen the Brandon Mably lass on creative bug? fun. He shows how he makes his poppies. all about color. I want to start something but I am afraid it will become one of those projects that lay about languorously, taking up space and mocking me.

While winding up balls of random sock yarn for Helical Sock Mitts I happened across three skeins of Rowan Cotton Jeans and had to cast on a Vintage Hankie Washcloth. Love the pattern, love the yarn. Now if I could just quit work and convince my husband that we don’t need to eat so often so I can knit all the time…

I bought the Cocoknits book and I am going to make a simple sweater using her design. Cast on today, using pretty pink Battenkill I picked up at Rhinebeck.