Return to MDK

Please Introduce Yourself!

Sorry to hear about you were caught up in a fire again. Is the Camp Fire or the other numerous fires in California?

I am reading over the Slipped-Stitch Cap and I don’t find how many stitches to cast on. I will be learning as I go and I don’t want to make it too difficult for myself!

Hi Lounge :hugs:

My name is Jessica. I live in the Nashville area. Funny story, I met Ann at Craft South during Andrea Mowry’s trunk show this past weekend. Ann was so kind and sweet. Such a teacher and encourager, even in a 10 min casual convo. Clearly I had no idea who I was talking to or I would have bombarded her with way more questions!

The first thing I’ve ever knit was 5 years ago. I was pregnant with our 3rd and decided to take on an owlie sleep sack as my first project. Didn’t finish it. But determined to learn to knit I moved on to making ear warmers and hats. I’ve knit on and off for long spans of time during the last few years but have been knitting every day without fail for the past 3 months. I just love it. I mean LOVE. IT. I’m discovering quality yarns and my local yarn shops. It’s a whole new world and I’m enjoying the learning process so much.

For 2019, I have big plans to continue advancing my knitting skills with shawls, sweaters and socks. Obviously, tons of brioche will be involved. It’s my new obsession. I also sew, mostly for my girls but this coming year I have plans to make a me-made warddrobe. So excited to have found this quint knitting community. Thank you for having me!

Jessica! It was so great to meet you–a very fun evening. And you’re so lucky to have so much ahead of you–be sure to ask any questions you have here in the Lounge. There are a lot of very experienced knitters in here, often with strongly held opinions aka KAY.

Hi, I’m Dorothy. I live in SW Ontario (very hot summers, cold snowy winters). My first successful knitting project was a cabled cardigan in a dark blue Red Heart DK blend. I was about 20, and taught to knit, purl and cast on and off by my mother as a child. I had a few uninteresting or failed projects behind me, but I really wanted this sweater and my mum was too busy to knit it for me. I had the motivation to work through the obstacles, and I took the gauge warning seriously. I loved that sweater!
It’s 40 years later and I’ve never stopped knitting. Right now I’m fascinated by Laura Nelkin’s Novus cardigans and am knitting two (one needing concentration, the other less so) in Wollmeise DK and Anzula Breeze. I love beautiful yarn.

My name is Laura. My first knitting project was supposed to be a scarf, though by the end I’m not sure it could be called that. I was 15 and really wanted to learn to knit, but knew no one who could show me. I went to the store and bought a pair of needles that “looked right.” When I got them home, I took everything my mom had taught me about crocheting and everything I’d seen about knitting from TV and set to work. I’m pretty sure it was thrown away after a while.

Fast forward to college and YouTube. I found a video that some nice British lady made. She taught me how to make a pair of socks. I used the wrong yarn, but they fit and I finished them. I have learned a lot since then and would love to continue to learn new techniques that I haven’t tried yet.

My favorite food is potatoes. Any meal with potatoes is delicious to me. I like watching British murder mysteries while I work on my projects and I’ll play the same ones over and over again. My husband thinks I’m crazy.

Hi I’m Denyse . I was taught to knit by my mother when I was home sick from school… I didn’t finish that scarf as I put it away as soon as I was better. Twenty years later I had the urge to knit for my 3 boys - cute little striped jumpers & cardis. Put the knitting aside once again until a few years ago I noticed Stephen West & all the beautiful new hand dyers - oh the colours & the fun.
My favourite colour for many years has been blue. But lately I’ve noticed I’m drawn to orange & some yellows & greens. Well really, all the colours. I find I can’t knit happily with just one colour. I seem to need to dip into my basket of yarn for a colour change quite frequently.
It’s great to have found MDK through KnitStars. I live in Australia, so popular yarns at the moment are cotton & linen, but really, anything is possible if you turn the aircon down low enough.
Cheers
Denyse

Welcome, Darby! So glad you’re here, especially cool that you’re in Australia.

If you’re a fan of color, I think you’ll find tons to see here.

Happy new year to you!

Hi Laura!

Yes yes yes to British murder mysteries and Britishness in general—we often feature them in our weekly Laz Sunday posts. Check out our full department of Lazy Sundays for great shows to knit to:

https://www.masondixonknitting.com/category/fun/?fwp_select_one=lazy-sunday-diversions

So glad you’re here!

Hi, knitters! My name is Rachel and I live in West Virginia.

1. First thing knitted: an obscenely long red baby alpaca garter stitch scarf. I didn’t know how to bind off so I just kept knitting and knitting and eventually it was about 10 feet long.
  2. My favorite movie is Out of Africa. Food: pasta or cake. Shoes: Birkenstocks or clogs.
  3. I would really like to get better at making things fit. I have a gorgeous sweater I knit for my husband but the sleeves are too long and it just doesn’t set right on his shoulders. I’d also like to get better at finishing. I’m the worst mattress seamer in the universe. I’d also love to learn to steek. And get better at Fair isle and intarsia. I have a lot of knitting goals!

My main goal this year is to become a year round knitter. I really only knit in the winter and I’d like to change that for a number of reasons – to get more knitting done and to reap the mind/body benefits of knitting on a more consistent basis. A secondary goal is to stop using cheapie yarn. I bought some fantastic yarn this summer in Orkney and as I was paying for it I decided I wasn’t going to skimp on yarn, even if it means fewer projects.

Looking forward to exploring The Lounge!

I just discovered the Novus cardigans and am similarly obsessed!

Hello Rachel!

I’m loving all the goals–the great thing about knitting is every bit of it is achievable. And fun. And possible at whatever pace you like.

I am so glad you’re here. Lots to poke around in the various Departments that appear at the top of every page on the site. “Inspiration” has all sorts of stuff. “Projects” has a lot of things in process. And “How To” includes videos from the Year of Techniques series that are really wonderful.

Have a great time!

Ann

Hi I am new here. I am 60 years old. I learned to knit at age 7. My aunt taught me. My first project was a very ugly but soft kelly green throw pillow. I wonder what ever happened to it?
My fav movie is an old one- Westward the Women with Robert Taylor And Ben Johnson.
I am married to the best man the treee is, and mother to 6. 4 boys and 2 girls. Grandma to 8 with one on the way in early April.
I love sock knitting and baby things. I always have a few projects going. I am knitting a blanket for the baby boy on the way from the Andrea shawl pattern with Queensland Collection United Foursome yarn. Very lightweight fun yarn. Always have socks going, and a shawl right now too. Happy to be here., jenny