Return to MDK

Please Introduce Yourself!

I just finished “Bang Out a Revolution” and (sort of) completed my Swirl Topper in the allotted 28 days – I just need to hem and block it – so now that I have a minute, I’ll introduce myself. I’m Paula, and the first thing I ever knitted was a white sweater with pink stripes. It was huge by design – it was the 80’s – and I had someone else sew it together for me, so a little bit of cheating. My favorite food is anything with cheese, and my favorite color is a very particular shade of blue, a little bit sapphire, a little bit peacock. I have been working on learning the Irish language for the last year, and will probably work on learning the Irish language for the rest of my life. I’m returning to knitting after taking a long hiatus while finishing a BA in English (started in the 90’s) as a part-time and very non-traditional age student, and I’ve been tearing up Ravelry adding favorites to my library. Lots of Isabell Kraemer designs! Can’t wait for Field Guide No. 10!

3 Likes

I live in Cambridge, Massachusetts and work at the large university in our city that begins with an H. Besides knitting, I sew, scull on the Charles River, practice yoga, cook a lot and participate in a number of philanthropic organizations. I have 3 grown children who live in DC, SF and NYC. I grew up in SF and lived in the Mountain West and DC before settling here 30+ years ago. My husband is very supportive of my knitting passion. I have made incredible friends over the years from knitting.

1. The first thing I ever knitted was a small blanket with my grandma. I used it for my stuffed animals.
  2. My favorite movie is “The Way we Were,” food is baked sweets such as cookies and tea breads, color changes but currently pink and gray together, I love shoes, especially 3" chunky heels that are patent leather.
  3. Well in knitting I would like to learn how to do Fair Isle and be a more confident sweater knitter. In other areas, I would like to learn how to fly a plane.
    *I often travel and attend knitting retreats, workshops and conferences. I loved going to Iceland on Summer Solstice when the sun didn’t set and we hiked, swam and knit. It was a trip with Helene Magnusson.
4 Likes

Hi! I’m Maria Chiara, my name on Ravelry is Clarabella2. My grandmother taught me to knit when I was a kid, but I lived far from her so for many years I was not able to improve my knitting. Then, about three years ago, I discovered Craftsy and I took a class with Lorilee Beltman, Knit faster with Continental knitting. She is a fantastic teacher and with her lessons now I finally can knit! The first thing I knitted was a yellow dishcloth, which took me weeks and came out really horrible, but I was so happy and proud of it…

3 Likes

Welcome! I am kinda new here too and love it! So many wonderful talented people. So much fun! You will love it!

3 Likes

Welcome Maria! You have a really cute, what is that thing called?, avatar😁

1 Like

My name is Anne and I live in Charleston WV. My first knitted project was a hideous aqua pair of cuddle mocs for my Dad. My mom taught me to knit when I was 8, and I’ve knitted for 55 years. I am looking forward to learning from this community.

5 Likes

Hi my name is Janet. I learned to knit as a child from my Nanny. I don’t remember what it was , however I do remember tucking that long needle securely under my armpit and doing my best to make the yarn into something recognizable…
My other Grammy taught me to sew , and I sewed pretty much from then to until a few years ago.
About five or six years ago I rediscovered knitting and found a group at my lys and have been loving the community and knitting ever since.

4 Likes

Hello! I’m Susan aka “speedknitter” which is a combination of my 2 favorite hobbies, knitting and fast cars - although the fast cars have taken a backseat in recent years to raising a teenager.

I was raised in a “crafty” home - sewing, crochet, etc - but I was the first in the family to learn to knit when I was in college. My first effort was a vest, but I was really thrown into the deep end when I had to become the knitting teacher at the craft store where I was working in Chapel Hill NC.

Fast forward 30 years and I’m still knitting. Also want to learn more about Bullet Journaling!

4 Likes

Hello, my name is Lilia Vanini, Im full time knitting and crochet designer for Liliacraftparty, my passion is knit and crochet and Venice, where I live with my husband.
I would like to tell you more about me, but I have a simple venetian life, so what I most enjoy in life is my knitting with a good glass of wine, Im ready to start my new adventure wich is hand dyed yarn so you will see my colors creations on my designs very soon! Im happy to be here with knitters and crocheters from around the world!
GAL%202017

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Tiffany, from Floreat in Western Australia.
The first thing I knitted was a dog sweater for my Maltese baby, Sashy.
Blues are probably my fave colours, but I have some Wollmeise in red that I want to make one of the MDK Downtown patterns in. It will be my 1st top down sweater! Yikes!
I’m making a simple cotton baby blanket for one of DD’s best friends atm. She’s due early May, so I’ve got to get my hurry on!

5 Likes

Hello! My name is Shana and I live in Texas. We just wrapped up the DFW FiberFest in Dallas and I took classes for the first time!

The first thing ever knitted was lots of random squares and rectangles out of yarn that I really liked, but didn’t understand. I tried knitting a garter stitch bag out of a book I had bought, but I was using cotton yarn, on bamboo needles, and I knit so tightly that the yarn literally squeaked on the needles every time I had to move a stitch up or down the needle. That was in 2005 or so, in Ketchikan Alaska. I still remember that yarn store very fondly! My skills? Not so much.

The first thing I actually wound up making that was useable was a scarf from a pattern I made up myself. Just stockinette in the middle, with garter stitch borders all the way around, done in Noro Silk Garden. And then knitting kind of languished for me again, during lots of life upheavals. I finally got back to it by teaching myself how to knit socks in 2014, and now I knit almost every day.

My favorite thing to do while knitting is listen to audio books. I have always been an avid reader, and I love that I can still “read” while knitting. Netflix and Knit is a thing in my house too, but I knit faster and pay more attention to my knitting with audiobooks. My favorite kind of shoes is flip-flops. I really like being barefoot, or as close to that as possible.

I guess you could say I’ve “upped my game” after attending DFW FiberFest this year and taking 4 different classes from Amy Herzog, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, and Kate Atherley. This year I’m going to knit my first garment, either a sweater or a vest. And I’m going to get better at socks, and I’ll probably teach myself cables. I want to learn colorwork as well, but that may be on next year’s menu. I knit slow (but average for a North American knitter who lives in the US where there is not a cultural bias in support of knitting). But really, what I want to do is focus on what is the absolute best fiber to use for the thing I want to make. As opposed to what feels awesome to squish but then will disappoint when I ask it to do things it’s not made for.

6 Likes