Return to MDK

Summer of Wandering Socks KAL

I’ve got a good start on my first KAL sock. The Picot cuff is done and I am starting the leg in the seersucker pattern. Question: I cast on 68 and the pattern is a 4-stitch repeat. Shouldn’t I get 17 repeats? Is this going to work?

8 Likes

This is my first evah sock pattern!! So eager to like making socks but I am not there yet!! I want to be like Ann and churn out socks. I am using Barnyard Knits yarn and good ol’ SS with 2x2 rib. Thanks for the challenge of a new skill!

18 Likes

Ready for Kitchener on sock #1 but I need to be a bit more awake to tackle that!

16 Likes

Beautiful yarn!

2 Likes

Great fit & beautiful color!!

1 Like

I hate (and I mean HATE) doing Kitchener stitch. so I was really happy to find this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S9v-pEiu-M method for KNITTING Kitchener. getting the very last stitch nice and tidy takes a little extra effort but as that is where the tail gets woven in it’s easy to correct. I still need a cheat sheet, but have a look and see if you like it. Personally I would cast on 10 stitches and do a few rows, then fold at the 1/2 way point and have a go rather than trying it on your very lovely socks. Fab yarn BTW.

3 Likes

{sigh} I finally see the sense of alternating from two balls when using hand dyed yarn. Look at my Little Tent socks. The same hank and yet one sock is very lght, one is very dark. I kept thinking “It’s gonna change soon…and time now…” but it hasn’t yet and I am pretty sure it won’t.

IMG_0657

11 Likes

My socks have been in timeout this week… My cuff cast on is just a little bit too tight, which would usually just mean these socks go to someone who they got better. But I really want them myself. But I hate frogging. Anyone have a suggestion for minor cuff surgery? I did the picot edge so it won’t show.

1 Like

My favorite stretchy bind off os Elizabeth Zimmermann’s sewn bind-off. Not really decorative, but I like the look and love the stretch.

2 Likes

I think you need either 64 or 72 stitches. So either decrease or increase 4. Are you knitting a medium or large size?

1 Like

The wrapped stitches should not be alone, they remain at the end of the needles that you’re knitting back and forth with.
Are the instep stitches divided on 2 needles? That will make working back and forth on the heel much easier.

2 Likes

I love the picot edge! I agree that you’ll have 17 repeats of 4 stitches.
(This means that you’ll want to rearrange 2 stitches to center the pattern at the instep)

3 Likes

The first of many! I love the colors in that hand-wound ball :orange_heart:

My ticket to the Wandering Socks Karl has arrived! Wanderlust and Barnyard Knits Campfire. Can’t wait to cast on, but I already have two WIPs. Is it ok to have three???

9 Likes

If you pick out the cast on (which is tedious) you can graft the live stitches down.

2 Likes

Getting a slow start to second pair, can’t find picture of first pair completed, learning things everytime, Thanks for the guide!

6 Likes

Cheers. I’ll have a look for that. I just got a book that boasts 211 cast on and bind offs and there are some pretty obscure ones in there so I’m sure there will be that one from a knitting goddess!

2 Likes

Can’t be as tedious as re-knitting 3/4 of the sock! I’m gonna call it fun. :wink:

3 Likes

Not as much progress this week with family visiting from The Netherlands. Tomorrow is a road trip to Mont Tremblant to show them the sites, so lots of car knitting time tomorrow to catch up

15 Likes

Kids+grandkids left on an airplane yesterday SO I did start on my KAL wandering sock, yesterday! But I did measure the 10 year old’s foot, slightly shorter than mine and thinner (yikes-she’s gonna be a tall one) I cast on toe up for a small size 7, but decreased 4 stitches = 52 total.
I’m a 10 year sock knitter (yes - Grandma-hood started me knitting again). I will use 2 circular needles, 2-at-a-time and take my time, it is summer. . . . sigh.

9 Likes