Return to MDK

Summer of Wandering Socks KAL

This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between the short row heels and the fish lip heels? To me it looks like they are the same except you do a lifted or “twin” stitch instead of the wrap done for the short row. What am I missing??

1 Like

got past the heel today!!! So excited to be past the “tricky parts”. AND We are taking a day off tomorrow and visiting my total fav yarn shop in our area ( about 45 min north) I am so hoping they have some of the recomended sock yarns in stock. Either way I will get some sock yarn. :grin:

13 Likes

Happy with my progress so far. I ended up casting on twice, the second time using Judy’s magic cast on with much better results. Now that my family has returned home, I hope to get to the heel by the end of day tomorrow.

10 Likes

The FLK heel is not much different than any other short row heel but there are a few things that set it apart. First is the foot template, one you make according to her specific instructions, that allows you to make a perfect fit sock for someone miles away. I make socks for my son in LA all the time, fitting them to his template so I know they fit him. There are also instructions for marker placement that help first time short row knitters get it right and based on their stitch count. There is scope for more individual stitch counts, rather than the usual 60, 64, 72 options. Personally I find the twin stitch easier and neater than wrapping. I never feel my w&ts look neat.

There is a ton of info on Raverly for how to alter it to fit a high arch or a deep heel or a fat foot. And you can do it without thinking. When it’s time, you place your markers, and you are off! At my knitting group, I was teaching someone how to work thru it at the same time one of my mates was teaching another person a heel flap heel. My learner finished both her flk heels before the other person got to the picking up along the flap. And she was confident enough to turn two more heels later in the week only asking one minor question.

I don’t often use a pattern now. Unless it is something weird, like Pole Dance (and even THAT I subbed in the FLK heel) I increase for the toe till I hit the line on my template, no matter how many stitches, what needle, what yarn. I knit the stitch pattern on the front till I hit line two. I start the heel, I finish the heel. I knit an inch, the carry the pattern to the back as well. When I get close to running out of yarn, or when I feel the sock is tall enough, I rib and cast off. And my sock fits.

Whoops. Sorry. That got mega wordy. HTH.

11 Likes

I thought I would add a photo for you. Here is a recent FLK in a sharply contrasting colour.

The slight spread you see is cause they are stretched over a homemade sock blocker. https://snapguide.com/guides/make-a-sock-blocker-using-wire-hanger/ is the how and the PDF shows the shape and size. http://tinyurl.com/yybg5hdq clicking the link should automatically start a download so don’t do it if you don’t want that. This is what mine looks like :smiley:

Also, I referenced a pattern before, Pole Dance. It is knit in a weird way - you do the cuff, then a long strip that shifts so it wraps around your leg. I slotted the FLK heel into that pattern quite easily, then carried on with the next step, picking up the stitches all along the wraparound then going back and forth to join it all.

14 Likes

Thank you! I’m back on track!! Finished the heel and moving on. I’m not sure why I got confused with the short rows-I’ve done them many times. Something about doing it on the sock played with my mind. Your comments helped get me unstuck and the instep tip was helpful!!

4 Likes

If your skein is 400 yards, I think you should be okay… as long as you don’t make the cuff really long.

2 Likes

Thanks for reply! Yes my yarn is over 400 yds. I will follow the pattern for cuffs -1 1/2”. Happy knitting :yarn:!!

2 Likes

So, hows everyone doing? There are some beautiful socks showing up on my Instagram feed y’all!. I started out with 2 on 2 circulars but I hadn’t done that in a while and I just did not have the patience to work it out in this heat! (#azliving) so went back to the tried and true dpns. I’m doing a panel for these and the yarn is a bit fine- but knitting up beautifully!20190628_063255

8 Likes

That’s CRAZY!! I love it!! Its like a Frakenstein sock, and I mean that in a really good way!

2 Likes

Ugh, kids! ITCHY IS IN YOUR MIND. Free your mind, and your feet will follow.

4 Likes

KAREN I WEEP FOR YOU. How did this happen. HOW?

1 Like

I’m flexi-flipping and -flopping at the moment, at the start of my second pair of socks. The jury is out on these things for me, but I am sticking with it in hopes that my hands will GET IN FORMATION. I want to like them because they are so neat and clever.

8 Likes

Sock-knitting is necessary self-care during any construction process.

6 Likes

They were extra awkward at first for me, esp since I never took to dpns and adapted easily to magic loop on Chiaogoo red lace cables. I definitely don’t have the “stitches take flight off the end of the stick” (and associated anxiety) with the flips like I did with dpns. And my other needles and cables are available for all those other wips! They have also managed to break my bad habit of using my left index finger to ‘help’ too much and poking the heck out of it with the super-pointy Chaigoo lace needles, although I wished for them on some of my fiddly M1 increases. The beginning and end stitches of each I’m still awkward with though.

4 Likes

I’m in! But I’ll be starting probably next week. I knit a dozen or so pairs of socks about ten years ago and they’re starting to be unmendable. Problem is I’m ten years older now and my hands balk at tiny needles.
As a child I learned to knit from a book that only showed line drawings of fingers, needle tips, yarn and stitches. Since I couldn’t see the end of the needles in the illustrations I just secured the right one in my belt (or belly-button) because that worked for me. I progressed from the Barbie clothes in the book to people clothes. I knit this way until my first semester of college when one of the Home Ec majors informed me I was doing it wrong. (I was wearing an Aran sweater I had knit that way at the time.) So, since she was the expert I started doing it her way.
I’ve since discovered belt knitting is a long-recognized way of holding the needles and is recommended as a way of relieving the hand pain I experience with sock needles. I’ll be joining in when my knitting belt and long DPNs arrive.
In the mean time I’m enjoying my beverages in this Thermos I discovered on my way from the iPhone earbud adapters to the blank DVDs at Best Buy

I’ve collected all the Field Guides. I’ve learned something from each one. I opted for PDF only for this one but will probably end up ordering a physical copy also.

9 Likes

Congratulations to Jennie whose picture we’re calling “Cool Skater, Warm Knitter” is our first Wandering Socks Knitalong winning shot! If you’re on Instagram, give her :clap: @jenniewolff. xoCristina

14 Likes

You are giving me the strength to keep going with them. It’s always easier to stick with what we know but there is something so appealing about these short, bendy sticks.

5 Likes

mdkwander

Hooray!
I have a beautiful new pair of short clog socks ready for a wee bit cooler weather.
I’ll be casting on a single next week to take several photos and even a video of the heel turn etc.

::Knitting is fun::

17 Likes

Adorable socks Nell! Just wondering, did you follow the directions for the toe up socks in the Field Guide? I’ve knit a few pairs of socks previously, prefer toe up, and have always used Judy’s magic cast on. The method in the guide looks like it would leave a little hole on each side of the toe since there are six rows knit flat before joining in the round. Is this the case, or do the holes magically disappear because of the way the sock is knit? Or does one need to close up the holes while weaving in the end from the cast on?

3 Likes