Return to MDK

Welcome to the BuJo Show

Thank you. I’m also sticking with my current loose leaf notebook/planner for now, but I might go there this year if I get the urge to make a change.

OK, it’s official. I am an unapologetic (but at times ambivalent) MDK groupie! I bought my first Bullet Journal yesterday. I, of the no NewYear’s resolutions; do-less-be-more; failed Konmari-er; mostly digital calendar proclamations, am going back (forward?) to paper logging/journaling/visualizing/note-taking,etc. Not that I’m giving up my digital record keeping - as usual, I’m going to try to figure out how to meld my analog-digital brains to good effect.
Kay and Anne - promise me to NEVER JUMP OFF A CLIFF, because, well, you know, some of us might try whatever you recommend!
To be continued. . .

Here’s my Alabama Chanin-/Cristina Shiffman-inspired BuJo holster. I used the sleeve cut from an earlier reclamation project (so now I’ll coordinate nicely whenever I wear my AC Wrap Skirt). The pencil is actually tucked into what was once the sleeve hem.

It’s up to you is the “correct” answer, but I would say: yes you would! (Given that you’re the kind of person who already does it 2x.)

When I worked for the gov’t I made them order pilot pens! And Uni-ball! Now I have to buy them myself. :frowning:

The bigger hurdle was to get legal pads in letter size. Apparently that was a confusing concept.

I thought the 4 minute video Kay linked to was perfect to get started. I tried looking at some of his others, but really, for me, it came back to 4 minutes really did cover it all.

Although in another video he had a quote about how keeping a BuJo should not become a distraction in itself. That really spoke to me, tho in my head distraction = procrastination.

Thanks, Marilyn. I’m easing my way into it, and I do work for the government and order decent pens!

I’m an early elementary teacher and have the same problem: a spur-of-the-moment great idea. I laugh because those are often the things that work best, while my carefully thought out plans seem less inspiring. I know that in reality the careful plans are successful most of the time, but it happened often enough that I’m aware of it. The planned one are less stressful for sure, but I think reacting to what is going on in the moment can be very powerful sometimes it makes the perfect Polly and the exact time they’re rest to use it.

I am making a proclamation: I do not want to get sidetracked by trying to make my Bujo an artistic masterpiece! I started on January 1 and have used nothing but a Bic .5 mm mechanical pencil and printing or cursive. Having said that, I am drawn to the beautiful lettering I see in some of the examples one can find on Instagram or YouTube. So today I bought Modern Lettering by Rebecca Cahill Roots at my local PaperSource store, and the Pigma Micron 05 the saleswoman recommended and I’m looking forward to learning how to up my lettering game. But no colored pencils! No doodles! No brush pens! No decoration as procrastination! I probably spend more time with it right now while getting used to it, and I’m enjoying having everything in one place. But I know I can get caught up in spending more time organizing the info on the pages than actually getting stuff done, hence the opening proclamation. Thanks for being here for me, everyone. Keep me honest!

Yes! I got a “Back to Basics” email from the Bulket Journal website that was timed perfectly! Yesterday, I read through it, watched the basic 4 minute video again, turned the page and simplified 2 things that desperately needed it. To me, the beauty of it all is turning the page and starting again…this time, reminded that the purpose of it all is to be mindful of what REALLY matters and adds value to my life…what is worth spending my time on!

Oh nongenderspecific being, I need to make one of these, as soon as I get off this couch of germs. I think I may use some indigo scraps. But I am liking the AC option. I have a box of her scraps somewhere. Choices choices. That reminds me I need to do a finished project page. I just made a page for things mailed and things ordered. Sometimes I lose track. Nothing fance here. just lists.

I’ve been using a bullet journal system for a few years. A client gave me a big (9"x11" landscape format) spiral bound bujo, It’san excellent system for me-- nothing artsy or scrapbooky–The main success for me is ample space to break projects down into smaller steps, and assign days to them. I cross off as I go and move forward those still needing to be done.I can make each page a week at a time OR change the length to 3 days , if I have a lot going on–no getting locked into a seven days per week by The Man (jk).

Then I was gifted a beautiful aqua Leuchtturm1917 and I have three words for you: INDEX!! INDEX!! INDEX!! I am insanely happy the pages are thoroughly numbered. I can keep a running Index Page of where I put my brainstorms --and FIND THEM without shuffling through. While still having a section that is daily or weekly planning for things already in the works. 2019 is looking good!

I’ve been Bujo’ing (sporadically…) since Kay mentioned it a couple of years ago. One thing I’ve found useful is to divide my “to-do” page into quadrants divided either by kind of task (e.g., financial / social / medical / household ) or sometimes by what I need to do to accomplish it ( email / phone call / in person ). Seems to help me group things more efficiently.

Yes - hooray for the humble pencil (for me, a mechanical Pentel) with its magic eraser (so helpful for putting things off). With that pencil, you can change the date for a whole set of planned tasks!

Decoration is lovely and fun, but I’m with you m.halvorson in trying to enforce a desperately needed focus. So far, the pencil is helping me stick to the straight & narrow (fingers crossed).

I got my new journal from MDK – pretty paper and stickers and washi tape from Michaels – sharpened my pencils – now I just need my little one to go to sleep / have someone babysit her and I am ready to make this thing my own!!

Kate Davies uses one to plan her projects etc. she has some great posts on the way she uses her journal.

Thanks for the support. I have to amend my first post on this topic. I returned the lettering book I mentioned in that post–it wasn’t what the sales rep told me it was. It focused on calligraphy and I have no interest in buying pots of ink and nibs. Found another book of lettering for kids, which is just my speed. Also a lettering class at my local Paper Source store next week. But that’s it! I mean it!

I’m having trouble getting into the habit but I’m working at it. I need to realize that I can use this to jot down everything pertinent. Grocery items I need to remember for list, meeting times at work, etc. Don’t worry much about look and concentrate on usefulness.

Well. My efforts to adapt the Bujo system to my slim, elegant, lightweight Traveler’s journal quickly fell apart; if I want a comprehensive datebook/taskbook/diary, it’s going to require more pages and space than I was willing to contemplate. I spent time at my local stationery store today and emerged with a Leuchtturm 1917, figuring out that a zillion Bullet Journalers can’t be wrong. The Traveler’s Journal will still be of use, living in my purse as a notebook, while the gorgeous raspberry-red BuJo will stay at home.

Reviewing the original video that started it all, I finally figured out why my previous efforts had been frustrating; I used to set up the space for my daily logs in advance, a month at the time, in essence reproducing the rigidity of traditional day-planners. Leaving each day open until that night means that I can use my journal as a traditional diary. Not everything in it needs to be bullet-size. That’s a major lightbulb moment, right there.

I’ve been trying to use a travelers journal as well, and it is lovely to hold and dream of using, but I’m not sure it is right for a bullet journal either. Which is too bad because I love it in theory!